[C38] Reaching strut

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Mon Aug 4 15:40:51 EDT 2008

In addition to Que Linda, we sail an Etchells.  The Etchells has tweeker
lines with blocks attached to the spinnaker sheets.  The tweekers pull the
spinnaker sheets down to the deck level near the shrouds when they become
guys.   With the tweeker, the after guy doesn't press against the shrouds
(there are no lifelines) and makes controlling the spinnaker pole easier.

I have limited experience with a spinnaker on Que Linda, but I rig the after
guys with blocks attached just behind the shrouds on the toe rail.  The
spinnaker sheets were led to blocks near the back of the cockpit.  With this
fore guy location block location,  there is limited pressure on the life
lines.  This seems like a simple way around using a reaching strut, so I
must be missing a detail or two.

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett, WA