[C38] Suggestions/Catalina 38 For Sale

Steve Peterson stevepeterson at linkline.com
Mon Aug 4 17:55:33 EDT 2008

Hello members,

Allow me to quickly identify myself.  I am the smallest of the Hassle crew
who ends up spending a great deal of time in "Steve's Locker".  I have never
posted on this site, as I am not the skipper, only the contortionist who
ends up very dirty. Mike Rowe has nothing on me.

Our skipper, Larry Malmberg, described our holding tank problem as minor;
though it didn't seem that way to me at 2:00 am, with him holding the
flashlight, and me, up to my elbows in...Well, you know.  I was able to
perform an epoxy repair, and get us thru the distance racing, finished
second no less.

Last week, Larry motored up to Santa Barbara, while I was working.  He
informed me it was a very sooty trip.  Upon my arrival, I did indeed find an
exhaust leak.  An emergency duct tape fix worked for a while, until it
cooked off. I also noticed we were getting little water mixed with the
exhaust. I know the Universal is a wet exhaust system.  My question...yeah I
know..."Get to your question!", is this a normal failure of the salt water
pump and exhaust hose, or do we have a greater problem I have not
considered? We intend to replace the entire exhaust system from the block
out.  Also, we are, as Larry indicated, going to replace the fresh water
tank, along with the holding tank.  At this point, I am also contemplating
replacing every hose, fresh, exhaust, cooling, anything rubber.  We are
planning our ultimate race; the '09 Transpac.

"GD" Steve
Hassle

PS.  I will leave Larry to explain the "GD"