[C38] rake

Patrick Harpole 1derful at comcast.net
Sun Aug 17 23:50:56 EDT 2008

thanks

  _____

From: listserve-bounces at catalina38.org
[mailto:listserve-bounces at catalina38.org] On Behalf Of Phil Gay
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:46 AM
To: 'Catalina 38 Listserve'
Subject: Re: [C38] rake

I'm not an authority on the subject of C38 rigging, but I have always been
told that Catalina mast should be rigged plumb and straight.  General
knowledge states that if there is too much weather helm, move the head of
the mast forward and vice versa.  Our mainsails are cut with no mast bend in
mind.

Weather helm is also affected by the shape of the hull as it heels.  Que
Linda doesn't have any weather helm until about 7 degrees of heel.  Weather
helm is a good thing for a couple of reasons.  If you fall off the boat,
weather helm will bring the boat into the wind and stop it.  Also, there is
hydrodynamic lift generated by a rudder resisting weather helm which, along
with the keel, keeps the boat from slipping sideways when sailing upwind.

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett WA