[C38] LED mast head lights

Charles charles at finn.ws
Thu Aug 21 20:48:49 EDT 2008

William Knowles wrote:
> Since my mast is now out of the boat I would  like to upgrade the lighting and wiring. Has anyone put LED anchor and  steaming combo on there boats? If so how much and where can I get some. The LED company in FIji  looks interesting, any experience with them? As usually I will wait for your many replies.
> Thanks Bill Flying Goose #324

I installed the OGM tri-color / anchor light last spring and it works
great.  Very easy to install and it is USCG approved.  I got it from
Sailboat Stuff (
http://www.sailboatstuff.com/lt_LED_tri_anchor_light.html ) for $319.
One issue to know about at least on my boat is the fact there are two
lights in the original anchor light with two power wires, one return and
a ground.   I used one of the power wired for the tri-color and the
other for the anchor, which saved me having to run additional wires!
After reading Tom's article regarding voltage in the last magazine, I
wondered if the line drop would/should have given me voltage problems
(LEDs are touchy about voltage).    It did not, but if I was doing this
again I would read the voltage off the wiring to ensure you are getting
proper voltage.
It sure is nice to not have to worry about leaving the anchor light on!

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes