[C38] Leaking Chain Plates

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 01:49:36 EDT 2008

Steve,

I can relate to what you are saying since I too sail our C38 in the
Northwest.

I removed my aft lower chainplates in July and rebedded them.  Removing them
was a major operation since you have to remove the cabinet faces and remove
both the shelves and vertical dividers in the cabinets to get the
chainplates out.  When I removed the chainplates I found a void on the port
side where the plywood was butted together.  The 1/8" void ran fore and aft.
I also found that the void channeled water all the way back along the
overhead deck liner and dumped it into the storage space (a small cabinet on
my boat) outboard of the stove.  I filled around the edges of the cutout for
the chainplate with thickened epoxy and rebedded the chainplates with 3M
4000 sealant.  The silicone that I had removed easily pulled out with no
effort.

Now I am tackling the mid and upper chainplate.  It looked like a simple
task to unbolt the chainplate on the back side of the main bulkhead from the
lower part in the head and opposite cabinet.  Unfortunately the lower nut is
encased in fiberglass which anchors the lower part of the chainplate to the
hull of the boat.  I was able to wrestle the starboard screw out of the
fiberglass, but am going to have to cut the head off the lower screw on the
port side to remove the aft upper part of the chainplate.  After removing
the starboard chainplate, I again notice the slim vertical void where the
plywood was butted together.  I plan to fill it with epoxy also.  Again the
shallow silicone bedding easily pulled loose from the deck of the boat.

It is abundantly obvious that Catalina did not intend these chainplates to
be removed, even though everything I have read says to do it periodically
and check for corrosion.  Fortunately, I haven't found any serious corrosion
yet.  I do wonder if it is possible to get good adhesion with new sealant
without pulling the chainplates.

Good luck and let us know if you discover any secrets.

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett, WA