[C38] Leaking Chain Plates: Gravity Rules!

Charles charles at finn.ws
Mon Aug 25 10:27:00 EDT 2008

Steve and Phil,
I would guess we are all experiencing this problem and I would suggest
we also have done a pretty careful job of caulking the chain plates as
you have.  Yet, many of us still are frustrated by ongoing leaks in this
area.  I think the problem is that the chain plate area is the lowest
point from the mast area to the bow and therefore is the likely egress
for almost any leaking condition that has had years to make its way
(kind of like erosion).  I am positing that the normal chain plate
maintenance will fix leakage problems on newer boats, but we have
another problem altogether that manifests the same symptoms!  I am by no
means finished and probably never will be, but below is list of likely
suspect areas I am investigating.
1. Mast collar leaks (this one can cause a lot of water to enter the
boat).  I found large voids around my mast and put almost a gallon of
west epoxy in this area.  It is hard to believe a gallon, but with the
cost of this stuff.... you know how much you use!  With the mast
removed, I worked from the cabin using wire to carefully remove all the
rotted, wet material.  I then built a clay dam at the mast hole area and
drilled 1/4 inch holes in the deck at the bottom of the void and then up
by the mast collar.  I then used the caulk tube offered by West to
inject epoxy from the bottom up with the idea that when epoxy came out
of the hole near the mast collar I had filled the void.  I did this for
three voids.  One very large one on the port side; one down past the
main halyard deck winch on the starboard; and one from the main halyard
sheave on the starboard side.
I then used startite to seal around the mast.
2. The cabin also has windows and ports that of course cause leaks.  I
found the teak rail was leaking down to the chain plate.
3. The staysail / spinnaker track on my boat always has water in it when
it rains.
4. I have a Dickenson heater with the double stack so I don't use cabin
air.  I turns out that when I take serious weather over the bow, water
gushes into the stack and ends up down below soaking the cushions right
in the chain plate area.  A friend pointed this out to me when he was
below during a nasty bit of weather on Lake Ontario in May of this year
and a quick look revealed that this is essentially a 2 inch hole in the
top of my cabin!  Duh!  Turns out Dickenson has just started selling a
stainless cap that you install to stop this very issue.

Now to my prime suspect!
I am almost positive on my boat that the deck-hull seal is my major
culprit!  I think that rain flows into this area from the rail and of
course we do bury the bow in heavy weather.  This all takes time to flow
back to the chain plate area and by then I think I may have overlooked
those events.  I have fashioned a gouging pick out of a screw driver and
also have purchased a circular cutter blade for my roto zip.  I plan to
cut the existing caulk back as far as I can and then fill with 5200
before launching next spring.  I will use a caulking gun as this will
allow me to inject the 5200 rather than coat it over, which is what
happens with a hand tube

By the way, I would love to hear from others about any areas I may have
overlooked!

Happy Hunting!
Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114