[C38] Insurance

Charles charles at finn.ws
Fri Aug 29 11:13:20 EDT 2008

Here is another story about insurance.  I had Boat US for 2-3 years with
no claims (I have never made a boat claim in 40 years of sailing).  Boat
US sent me a cancellation notice stating they had decided to not insure
boats older than 20 years.  I immediately contacted them and after
prolonged discussions and appeals was told they absolutely were not
going to insure my boat.  I then started the "rounds" looking for
insurance and shocked at some of the quotes!  I had been vice president
of the Minnesota Fair Plan (property insurance) for a number of years
and knew folks on the inside, but even this did not help....
I finally went with Progressive, who were easy to deal with and easily
as competitive in terms of price.  Bad news was I had to arrange for and
pay for a whole new survey of the boat ($500).  And then of course had
to fix the inevitable issues discovered since my survey of 3 /12 years ago.
After all that trouble and frustration, Boat US later called me asking
why I had left them and would I come back!!!!  I usually try my best to
not "vent" on folks I am talking to on the phone as they almost never
have made the decision that I am mad about or have the power to change
things, but this poor guy got an ear full that day.  Especially when he
told me that Boat US would take me back only if I got another survey as
the one I just had (less than a year old) was not authorized by them.
I sail the Great Lakes.  No hurricanes.  Our boats are in the water less
than half the year.  Yet, my rates are the same as folks in Florida and
California....  While Boat US is clearly a major insurer of our
industry, my experience is they are in the insurance business and act
like any other insurance company.  And we should treat them as such.
So, I am sticking with Progressive as their coverage is actually better
than I could get from Boat US (I am covered in Canada where Boat US
wanted an additional rider).  They also have not "ratcheted" my cost
over the years (common practice by many companies with Allstate being
know for this).

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes