[C38] Head Liner Joining to the deck

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 01:56:02 EDT 2008

I think that a gap between the plywood core and the hull liner around the
windows is common.  When I removed and resealed the fixed ports (windows),
the plywood was really delaminated, but it wasn’t wet.  As mentioned before
most of my window leaks were between the frame and the glass.

The places inside the boat where leaks have been evident are around the
mid-lower chainplates, the bolts that attached the aft lower chainplates,
and in a couple of places inside cabinet on the port side of the boat.

When I removed the chainplates for sealing, I routed out the soft wood and
sealed around the opening with thickened epoxy.  I am hoping that this will
have some lasting benefit.  I had to replace the chainplates before sealing
around them and it was difficult to get sealant very deep into the crevice.
I am hoping that the modern sealants will bond to the surfaces that I
carefully cleaned.  I still plan to cover the boat this winter.

Good luck.

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett, WA