[C38] Outhaul

S. Orton ssorton at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 26 23:54:57 EST 2008

Larry,  I assume you are talking about the main outhaul.  I copied the basic
idea used on a J-120 and it works super!  I've used this system for about
three years.  The first thing you do is get rid of the boom outhaul slide-
it takes a hammer to move it under load!  The main clew is hooked up
directly to the outhaul via a clevis- this provides the outward loading.
The clew is attached directly to the boom with three wraps of Dacron webbing
that completely encircles the boom.  Put two layers of Velcro between the
three layers of webbing to secure the hoops in place.  The webbing used was
a sail tie one inch wide.  Sail makers are very familiar with this setup.  I
made mine at home with my wife's sewing machine.  The wire outhaul was
replaced with a high strength (about 2000 lbs breaking strength) 1/8 inch
single braid such as Vectran.  The turning sheave at the end of the boom is
for wire, which is the reason for the small braid.  Inside the boom, I
didn't change anything- kept the same 2 to 1 block system, with 5/16 line
exiting through the side of the boom, wrapped a couple times around the
outhaul wench and cleat with a half hitch.  The outhaul wench is now an over
kill as I flatten the main sail foot by rolling the wench  by hand (without
a handle)  in pressures about under 12 kts.  Very little handle force is
required above 12 kts.  My upgrade will be to eliminate the boom wench, go
to a internal 4 to 1 block system inside the boom and replace the turning
sheave at the end of the boom to handle at least 1/4" line.  With the above
system, I no longer have to bang on the main clew to increase the main draft
while going down hill.
Hope this helps and yell if you need more info, Steve