[C38] On The Hard

Charles charles at finn.ws
Mon Dec 1 19:10:27 EST 2008

David,
Beware the Catalina 38 smile!
Make sure your keel is well supported.  Most folks tend to want to block
the keel too far forward, which causes compression.  This results in a
crack developing where the keel meets the fiberglass.  I understand this
is largely cosmetic, but until I started supporting the keel a bit more
aft I was filling and sanding and painting every spring.

It is also important to make sure the support stands toward the aft of
your boat block on a structural point within the boat.  This is easy to
do forward, but the aft supports should be in line with your galley and
pilot table (look within and you will see a lot of built up structure).
I built a taller set of support stands that relieve the stress near the
very rear of the boat as well, because I did not like how if "felt"
walking around the wheel when I am on the hard.

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes