[C38] Maybe a C-38

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 19 12:48:03 EST 2008

Well, you are in a group that loves our boats.  I have had mine 11
years.  We are coastal cruisers/daysailors, so we probably wouldn't be
the ones to ask about live aboard.  However the boat is comfortable is a
bit smaller than a small studio, the CNG works well for us and the
lighter than air aspect which vents it well is appreciated, but it is
lower heat output than propane, and probably doesn't last as long
either.
	We put 130 watts of solar on our boat, but for liveaboard, you would
want more.  Finding a liveaboard slip is usually difficult in CA due to
really stupid laws about only 10% liveaboards.
	The areas that cause the most minor grief that would become more
problematic for liveaboard is the lack of hanging space if you are
working, which can
limit the wardrobe a bit.  BUT, we love the boat.  We have kept JACE in
good condition, and the bottom was just recently redone with two new
layers of glass. (we had blistering, but that doesn't seem too bad for a
boat that is 27 years old.) Not all C38's have that issue.
	The solar panels we chose are a bit on the small side, but meet our
occasional needs well.  If you are living aboard you will need to work
out an electricity budget and figure out how big you would need (if at
all, some folks just limit their electricity use).
	My greatest comment would be GO FOR IT.  Nancy and I waited a bit too
long and age and other issues caught up with us.  Don't wait. If you
want to do it, go NOW!

	Remember that sails, and gear (line, blocks, sails, etc.) will cost
quite a bit more.  The size of the gear goes up with the square of
waterline, so a $30 bit for the 27 will cost about $60 for the 38 just
due to the difference in sizes.  Fuel consumption is about .7gph at max
cruise speed, so that is a bit more as well, but it is a sail boat.
Time between harbors here is about 6-8 hours in southern CA, and a bit
more between harbors as you go north from Ventura county.  South from
San Diego you enter Mexican waters, and ports are fewer.

Regards,
Les H
Regards,
Les H