[C38] starboard vs port performance

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed Jun 3 01:07:20 EDT 2009

Hello all,

hoping you more experienced Cat 38 racers can help me out. But first I have to say Wow flying a spinnaker on our boats is a kick in the #$$!  We were last off the line with a crew excluding myself and bowman who had never even touched a spinnaker, so by the time we walked them through the deployment we were a good 500 yards back of 8 boats and in last place, within 20 minutes we were out in front by the same distance.   The story isnt so good after that due to bad calls at the helm so Ill stop there, but was that ever fun just walking past them with so little effort.

We noticed that on port tack we were much faster by about a knot, sheets led to the same spot, trim looked good, but nothing seemed to help on starboard.   Im wondering is it because of the weight of the batteries, galley and head all on port that help to bring down that side a little more when on a port tack?  Apparent was about 13, could it have been wave direction?  Our boat sitting at the dock does have a slight list to port.   As always thanks for the help.

Steve
Peregrine #312
Seattle