[C38] Sail modifications

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed Aug 12 01:12:58 EDT 2009

Okay so in a late night dyslexic epsisode I bought a used sail online, a very nice UK Mylar/Kevlar blade.  However the luff is 51'8".  realizing my mistake after the sail shipped I figure the head needs to be lowered 7 feet.  I'll be talking with North tomorrow about their thoughts, the question for the group is with that much cut off normally on a larger sail I'd worry about screwing up the draft but since it is a blade and flatter than a normal head sail what are your thoughts or experience?  A new North 3DL 600 is about 5,000 I picked this one up from Bacon with a good rating for $700 and talking with them while they had the sail out the luff tape still looks brand new and the sail has very little wear as you would expect with a blade.  Should I return the sail or for a few hundred more is the consensus that it might be okay?   Thanks.