[C38] boat specs

Peggy Droesch saintpeg at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 30 16:46:41 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Having looked at the listing for Osprey that was posted last week, & seeing
that it's the same year ('83) as our Windlassie, brings up a topic I've
been puzzling over: how much leeway was there for upgrades and/or
modifications during production, by the original owner, when our boats were
built?

Example 1: Osprey has fiberglass (or acrylic?) bulkheads in the head,
Lassie has teak.  I'm guessing the water-impervious finish was an upgrade
that Lassie's original owner, who was focused on racing rather than
cruising, chose not to install.

2. All the specs I've ever seen state a water tank capacity of 41 gal (35
gal tank + 6 gal HW), but the tank that was original to our boat (Ronco
model B-114), which we had to replace last winter, is only 25 gal. There is
quite a large gap between the forward wall of the tank & the anchor locker,
so I'm wondering if perhaps the 'OEM' tank was a larger one that Lassie's
original owner chose not to put in.  God forbid a raceboat should carry
more tankage than absolutely necessary!

I've always assumed that production boats were just that, & you got what
the manufacturer chose to put in -- if you wanted options you had to go to
Passport, Pacific Seacraft or other builders who do custom or semi-custom
work.  Some of the options I see on Windlassie are clearly aftermarket,
like the Sailcomp system that we haven't the faintest idea what to do with.
But that doesn't explain some of the differences I see between my boat &
all the others out there.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Peggy
Windlassie, #231
Point Richmond, CA