[C38] Refrigeration

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed Dec 30 00:16:16 EST 2009

I have searched through the last few years of posts and didnt see any discussion on refrigeration systems so I have a few questions for those of you with them.  I am considering the Isotherm 4201 or the Virtrifrigo both use the danfoss BD35F compressor for a max of 8.8 cubic feet ( Our boxes are 5.6),  Both have ASU holding plate options and both use seawater for cooling the compressor.  I am thinking of teeing off the engine raw water intake and draining through a tee in the galley sink drain.   The nice thing about the virtifrigo is that it has a holding plate that will fit nicely on the aft wall of the upper ice box on the port side.  It is 11 X 2.5 x 8.  Any other size will interfere with the main ice box area..

Questions are :

1)  anyone have any recommendations or warnings on brands?
2) I'm sure there is some math for figuring out the proper size of holding plate for cubic volume, anyone?
3) As an option what about making the cooling line a closed loop and running the tube from the compressor pump through the bilge and back to the compressor, that would be preferable to teeing off at through hulls If the run is long enough to cool the water before heading back to the pump.

Thanks

Steve
Peregrine #312
Seattle