[C38] standing rigging

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 09:30:14 EST 2009

Hi Ken,
I replaced my standing rigging by myself a couple of years a go with
sta-lock swageless fittings. I bought everything from www.riggingonly.com.
Great prices!!
They advised me to stay with the original wire diameter. A chain will be as
strong as the weakest link, and the toggles, which usually fail first will
remain with the same pin diameter unless I redrilled or replaced
chainplates, so, I stood with the same wire diameter (5/16").  I also
changed from 304 to 316 stainless steel, 5% less stronger but has more
corrosion resistance. I just had 42knts a couple of months ago on a race,
had a chinese gybe, and everything is still ok. Chainplates are another
story. Just took apart the one on the starboard forward shorud, and was very
corroded with a lot of cracks. I have to replace that one and check the
others........
The wire lenghts are on the C38 org  webpage.
Hope this helps,

Max Soto
C38 #198 Estancia
Puntarenas, Costa Rica