[C38] haul out

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Sat Jan 17 13:08:46 EST 2009

Hi Rod and Patti,

How you block the keel is kind of critical... If you do it wrong, you get a
crack at the front of the keel that's so common it's called the "Catalina
Smile."  I'm sure lots of people on the list will answer with more specifics
but I make sure that we only block the keel in one place with something like
a 4" x 4" piece of wood in contact with the keel so it can pivot to it's
natural position when the supports are added to the hull.  I usually put the
four-by-four back about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from the front of the keel.
I've never had my boar anywhere close to level when it's been on the hard.
Usually, it's bow down by quite a bit.

I hope this helps - I'm sure there's more details and other opinions coming.

Rich, Legacy, #360, Los Angeles