[C38] thanks

Charles charles at finn.ws
Thu Jan 22 11:01:11 EST 2009

Phil,
A review of our listserve archives demonstrates this has been an
ongoing, rich discussion for many years and I expect it will continue as
the "smile" continues to appear in our boats.  Folks have weighed in
with their attempts to solve the problem that include:

1. Removal and reattachment of the keel and keel bolts.
2. Installation of an additional keel bolt in the affected area.
3. Routine tightening of keel bolt (please note these should be checked
at least yearly regardless).
4. Cosmetic applications.
5. Application of epoxies after a in-depth grinding.
6. Living with it.

We have heard from several folks who have contacted Catalina directly
that our smile results from improper support of the keel when on the
hard (Steve Orton does a great job of explaining this).  Personally, I
have used solutions 3-6 from the above list and am leaning toward number
6 as my overall philosophy.  I can report that since I have been
supporting the keel forward... the problem has greatly reduced.  But I
won't be surprised if when I see the Mighty Quinn into the water this
upcoming season, that I don't first have to do a little grinding an
filling first.  So is life with our choice of boat!
I agree with Steve as well that I have had some almost difficult
discussions with boatyards regarding keel support.  For example, I left
my boat in Lake Michigan this time around with a great marina that lifts
over 450 boats every fall.  These guys really know their stuff and gave
me some very good advice regarding placement of supports and some
structural issues I need to attend to.  So, imagine their surprise when
I turned from "boat owner along for the ride" to the guy who absolutely
won't let them set the boat the way they do for almost everyone else!

Here are my "bottom line" rules for setting the boat on the hard:
1. Make sure you are on hard ground.  Erosion or settling of the earth
under your boat will void any other effort.
2. Support your keel with blocking on the forward 1/4.
3. If you use a "vee post" on the bow (one yard insisted on this), make
sure it does not carry weight!
4. Placement of other jacks should absolutely be on bulkhead areas.
5. Make sure your boat drains naturally (water test this in the cockpit
and on port/starboard rails)
6. Make sure you or somebody you can rely on checks/adjusts the jack
stands a week or so after you have set the boat.

Please let me know whether you agree / disagree / have something to add
or whatever for the above list.  Once there is some consensus, I will
post it to "Tech Tips" on our website.

Charles  Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes