[C38] Invertors

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 21:55:50 EST 2009

I have enclosed a simple diagram of how to cheaply connect gensets or
inverters to your 120v system.  This is a foolproof and easy way to do it.
If your combined loads exceed the rating of a simple 3 way light switch,
you can make multiple switches in parallel with each switch operating a
single load.  A good heavy duty 3 way light switch will safely carry 15
amps which is plenty to operate my refrigerator and microwave at the same
time but it's easy to add another switch if needed.

I have used this technique to hook up gensets to houses  for over 40 yrs
and never had a problem.   My last house had 12 switches, each operating a
single load.  In a power outage, we had just about every light available.
My using multiple switches, it stages the load unlike a single heavy duty
transfer switch which can stall a genset when too much load is applied all
at once.  With multiple switches, the generator can keep adding fuel as
more load is applied allowing a rather small genset carry a pretty hefty
load without harm.  The same staging technique will work on our boats also
with as few as two switches which is a consideration if you ever plan to
use this technique with a genset on board.

Tom Troncalli
Renata hull #95
St. Pete, Fla