[C38] haul out

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 19:47:22 EST 2009

Hello Rod and Patti,

I'm behind on my email and don't know what answers you have received.

The hull should be level, not the bottom of the keel.  If the bow is low,
your cockpit won't drain.  When we haul, we put one piece of railroad tie
cut into a 24" log under the middle of the keel so the boat can rock on the
log without straining the hull where the keel mounts.

Many 38's end up with the "Catalina smile" where the keel meets the bilge
from strain when blocked.  By using a rather small contact area of the
cross tie log, the keel can rock fore and aft while still supporting
enormous weight.

Tom Troncalli
Renata
St. Pete, Fla

wondering if you block the keel level or the boat level when you put it on
the stands, or does it matter?  Right now they have the keel blocked level
and the bow dips about 8 inches. We will be storing Joint Adventure on the
hard for about a year. Thanks.