[C38] radar

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Mon Jan 26 01:51:21 EST 2009

Ken,
    I have my radar screen mounted on my pedestal. I have it placed in a
Edson mount. My GPS is also mounted on the pedestal. I plan to sail this
saturday so will send pix. One thing I learned about the installation.
Edson tells you you can run the co-ax inside the pedestal guard tubing.
They do not tell you it will take two strong men over three hours to
horse it through. It is the mother of all tight fits. Edson is now
making a pedestal guard with larger diameter tubing. I think you could
easily buy that tubing and install it with the labor savings from the
other installation.  You do not want to be running below in the fog to
look at your radar screen and you do not want to send someone below to
look at the screen to tell you what is out there. This is bad enough on
a racing boat. On a cruising boat - it could severely test your
relationship with the partner sent below. Every trip, race or cruise
from Santa Barbara to or around the islands goes through the steamer
lanes at least twice. They are fast and if downwind, silent. Crossing
the steamer lanes in the fog can be scary.  One foggy afternoon,ghosting
along at 2 knots  outside the steamer lanes I suddenly heard a massive
fog horn close by. (long before I had radar) I rang my bell, blew my
horn and banged on a pan to let them know we were there. The horn got
closer and then slowly faded away. I never could hear the engines or bow
wave.    The next weekend, sailing in the same area, I realized I was
trying to avoid being run down by an oil platform. Joe Launie/Macavity