[C38] radar

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 28 02:51:50 EST 2009

Hi,
	On JACE I installed a JRC radar, one of the really small ones.  And
then I designed and built my own pole (6"diameter fiberglass).  It works
well.  It is about 8.5 feet above the deck, and when you go forward you
are about 15' forward of its location, so everything should be kosher.
I get about a 6 mile range on small craft and 10-11 on the bluffs.  One
drawback is that it apparently uses capacitance memory, which means that
you MUST turn it on at least once per month.  Tough on us lite weight
cruisers.  The good news is that its low power drain means longer and
more intensive use.  I now have it mounted next to the power pannel,
over the forward end of the chart table.  Can't see it from the cockpit.
When I rewire the boat it will go on a swivel to swing out to be visible
in the cockpit.

I just put it there because I wanted it on the stern.  No real reason
other than that.  You might get a bit more range on the mast, but not
too much unless you put it WAAAY up there.  However you would avoid the
hole in the transom for the cable.

One recommendation I have to mention is a leveling mount.  It will work
much better, and not reduce your range on the leward side, and also
reduce sea clutter (reflection off the waves).

Regards,