[C38] Razor blades

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 18:57:00 EST 2009

Hello Sailors,

I was reading the posts on peroxide and thought that while we are playing with chemistry, I'd throw something in here too.

How many of you guys use a blade razor and shaving cream to shave?  Have you noticed that your blades don't last very long? I could put on a new blade and the next time I returned to my boat, the blade was dull.

I started washing my face with a antibacterial hand soap before shaving.  Without rinsing the soap, I'd lather with shaving cream and shave.  This allows about half as much shaving cream to do an effective job.

After shaving, wash the razor and let it dry.  You will be amazed how many shaves you will get with this procedure.  It seems that a small amount of the antibacterial soap stays on the razor after you shave, even after rinsing.  The blades don't have a bacterial corrosion with this procedure allowing the blades to last much longer.  I've heard of one guy going one better.  After drying the razor, he does the above procedure and then shoots his blades with WD-40.  He claims his razor will stay sharp indefinitely, even on a salt water boat.

I'd be interested if any of you guys have had any experience with these techniques.  Razor blades are cheap but it's nice to pick up a razor and not have to immediately change the blade before you shave.  Waste not, want not.

Tom Troncalli
Renata hull #95
St. Pete, Fla