[C38] Heat Exchanger replacement

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Tue Feb 10 13:01:02 EST 2009

I Did install the new heat exchanger and as I remember, it seems to me that
the mounting system on my old heat exchanger had been modified.  I ended up
mounting the new one using some plastic Marlon buckle tabs I'd found at West
Marine and hose clamps.  It wasn't a hard job and the new exchanger worked
great.

My old heat exchanger just wasn't quite up to the job and when we got into
warm water, overheating was a real problem.  When there was a full load on
the high-output alternator, we had to keep the RPMs below about 1000 to keep
from overheating.

There are some pictures I posted on my web site of my old engine from when I
was selling it (I never get around to taking anything off of my web site!).
There's one picture where you can see the plastic buckles I used to mount
the exchanger - it's below the picture of the tag on the transmission.  The
hose clamps aren't in place in that picture.  They just went through the
tabs and around the heat exchanger.  The web page is here:
http://www.idea-asylum.com/univ/

The plastic buckles were a bit of a kludge but they worked really well and I
think they isolated the exchanger from some of the high-frequency
vibrations.  They also electrically isolated the exchanger so I ran a
bonding wire to one of the end-cap screws.

Hope this helps,

Rich, Legacy, #360, Los Angeles