[C38] Travelers

David Epstein davidepstein at seicontrol.com
Mon Mar 23 14:35:38 EDT 2009

Steve,

I sent you a response with photos a couple of days ago, but it is
still "being held until the list moderator can review it for
approval".  I assume the hold is due to the attachments.  I'll try
again here, this time without the photos (email me if you want them
sent directly to you).

The curved design was a great idea in terms of being low profile, but
a terrible idea for sail trim.  As you travel away from center, you
are also sheeting in the main, requiring two steps each time you move
the traveller (if you want to maintain the same sail shape).
Conversely, when travelling towards center, you are easing the
mainsheet.  With the straight traveller, you can travel up and down
without changing the sheet tension, other than very slightly.  (The
theoretically "perfect" traveller would be straight across the top of
the cabin, but curved away from the mast to match the arc of the
boom, although I have never seen that done on a C38.)

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to upgrade to the Garhauer
straight traveller system, which is what I did about eight years ago.
Another advantage is that, at least on my boat, the curved track cars
were marginal in quality, and did not have the purchase that the
Garhauer does, so it is substantially easier now to move the
traveller under load.  We used to have to use a winch under extreme
loads, which is always a bad idea.

As to the installation, Garhauer makes "custom" stainless steel
adapters to accommodate the shape of the cabin top. I was going to
make some new riser blocks out of teak to match what was there, but I
think the adapters are a better solution.  Not only did they
eliminate another project, and I was able to run lines through them
to my mainsheet and topping lift winches.   I vaguely remember
sending my old traveller and blocks (or a tracing) to them so that
they could precisely match the existing hole pattern.  And yes, you
may need to modify your dodger but IMHO, it is well worth it.

As everyone else has said, my experience is that the folks at
Garhauer are really great to work with, and the cost/performance
ratio can't be beat.  I also agree that on a C38, the small amount of
additional weight is just not important enough to pay twice or more for Harken.

David Epstein
SuperStar, #122
Marina del Rey, CA

At 11:04 AM 3/23/2009, you wrote:

>Kerry,
>
>Would you expand on your comments about straight or curved, Im
>looking into replacing the whole system, obviously the easiest is
>replace with curved track and use whats on the deck, anyone have
>thoughts on curved vs. straight?  Thanks.

David Epstein
President, Sound Solutions
Chairman, CEA TechHome Division
Member of the CEA Board of Industry Leaders
Member, CEA Division Executive Board
Tel 310.398.0032
Fax 310.398.0036
www.soundsolutions.com