[C38] Non-skid

Steve Peterson stevepeterson at linkline.com
Tue Apr 14 00:07:06 EDT 2009

Hello all!

My apologies for being late to the discussion.  I am trying to get my work
done prior to the Newport to Ensenada race. Larry asked me to post this
response.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just completed one of the most difficult
projects we have ever undertaken.  The Hassle has a new paint job from keel
to top deck.  As I cannot post pics on this list I will forward to those who
send their e-mails directly to me.  When we first went into the yard,
skipper Larry and myself obtained bids for a complete paint job performed by
the experts.  Well, not being independently wealthy, we had to compromise
and have them do from the toe rail down.  I diligently researched the
painting of the decks and was left with a decision of using a one-part or
two-part paint job.  After careful consideration, we decided to do the
project first-class.  We utilized the same Awl Grip product that was used by
the pros on the freeboard.  This required a thorough education in chemistry
to say the least. With the help of one of our crewman Mike Elliot, and his
wonderful neighbor JJ, we learned how to properly apply the product.
Needless to say, your prep is the most important aspect to the job.  You get
out of the job what you put in.  We have sanded until our hands were raw,
but the result was well worth it. Unlike common household paints, nothing is
hidden by the paint.  If you have a smooth surface, you will get a good
result.  Failure to do a thorough prep job will result in a lackluster
result.  If you are not a hands-on and patient person, it is not a project I
recommend.  My patience was tried many times, by weather, business workload,
and my basic lack of the aforementioned patience.  However; I had to look at
the long-term and rationalized that this should be the last time I performed
this task.  So, against all my frustration, I buckled down and committed to
doing it right. I had some significant glass repair to do, however; this was
one skill I had experience with.

The two-part process requires mixing top coat, catalyst, reducer, and
accelerator in precise quantities.  If you should seek to do the project, I
would recommend not doing only on weekends.  Unfortunately that was the only
way I could do it.  We prepped the boat, and then did it again.  Oh yeah, we
even prepped it a third time.  Three weekends shot.  Then we primed with Awl
Grip primer.  Of course this required a mixing for the primer too. Another
weekend spent, while dogging raindrops.  Then all of your smooth surfaces
are next. You must not get in a hurry, and mix only the paint you can use in
90 minutes.  Drips must be avoided at all costs.  We still have five that
will be touched up after Ensenada.  You can figure it will take 4 days to do
the smooth surfaces properly. Two coats are a minimum.

The non-skid surfaces are a bit easier.  Again, we decided to use everything
Awl Grip since we did not want to experiment with cheaper alternatives.  It
again was well worth it.  I ordered a 5 lb bag of the Awl Grip non-skid
beads.  After taping off the areas, the first coat of paint is applied, with
a partner close behind broadcasting the beads, by means of punching a dozen
small holes in a quart can.  A cinnamon shaker can also be utilized.  A salt
shaker should be used in hard to reach areas. (By the way Larry, we need a
new salt shaker for the boat.) Care should be taken to do this in sections
dictated by the water bars, otherwise you may end up with unwanted lines.
After this layer has dried, you vacuum up the unstuck beads.  These can be
reused if you use a new vacuum bag.  A second layer of paint is applied.
This locks in the beads.  It also sucks in a great deal of paint.  Finally,
you apply the finish coat, which gives the non-skid a beautiful shine. She
is a great sight to see.  We had numerous skippers come by and ask us to do
their boat next.  I rather have root canal without anesthesia.  They cannot
afford the cost of my frustration.

If I had had the time, I would have done the job from start to finish every
day.  The project was quite daunting when we first started.  One word about
the beads; they get everywhere.  You must accept that. You need to
thoroughly clean the salon after.  Next week, the hardware will be
completed, though I think we will be cleaning bright work while on the race.

The bottom line is this.  If you want to save 10k, you can if you are
committed to doing it right.  Do your research. Don't hesitate to ask for
help,

Best regards,

Steve Peterson

Steve Peterson Investigations

505 N.  Arrowhead Ave.  Suite 510

San Bernardino, CA 92401

909-383-8565, 800-655-4549 Facsimile 909-383-8566 PI 24735,

All incoming and outgoing e mail is scanned with Norton AntiVirus.

Criminal Defense, Habeas Corpus, Death Penalty/LWOP, Civil Investigations,
Surveillance, Missing Persons/Skip Tracing, Internal Investigations,
Personal , GPS Tracking and Rental, Notary.

"If you think things are bad now...consider what life is like on Death Row!"

This e-mail communication may contain information that is proprietary,
confidential and/or privileged from disclosure under applicable law. If the
reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that use, copying, dissemination or continued possession of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have any reason to believe you
are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify us immediately
by e-mail. Delete all copies of this e-mail from computer memory or storage
and return all hard copies via regular mail.