[C38] Diesel Generator

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 18 14:39:13 EDT 2009

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay.  I am way behind in reading my email and just today saw your's.

If you have an inverter controlled Honda EU2000, you already have a very quiet genset.  Mine has a Honda engine but it is not inverter controlled and runs 3,600 rpm all the time so it's noisy load or no load.

The box is constructed from 1/2" plywood and lined with lead lined foam acoustic insulation.  Then the inside is lined with light gage aluminum.  I welded a 3/4" female nipple to the muffler so I can screw in a typical lawnmower muffler to further quiet the engine.

Since these pictures were taken, I've fabricated a baffled intake to the engine cooling vent hole which really helped quiet it down.  All three air intakes are separate and directly fed from the outside.  These include the carb, engine cooling and generator cooling.  There are two hot outlets, the muffler exit and a large vent on the bottom for venting the engine and generator section heated air.  The hot air from the bottom is directed to the rear where it hits the back of the cockpit backrest and is angled up.  This reduces noise also.

By putting the genset on the helm seat, it keeps the genset as far as possible from the cabin, downwind at anchor, and a great seat for the helmsman.  I remove the outboard tank from the genset and replace it with a throwable cushion for a really great helms seat.  I have a rope that attaches to the genset that connects to the toe rails to keep it in place.

The two pictures of the lid are from both sides.  I wanted to show the aluminum liner protecting the lead/foam insulation.  The slot in the top is to allow the lid to be easily removed and replaced and still having quick access to the starter cord.  I rigged a remote lever mounted on the front to operate the choke.  Also, on one side is an electric button to kill the ignition.  There is also a screw out marine type port on the side for easy oil changing.

Good luck,
TomTroncalli