[C38] Windlass

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Wed Jun 10 11:32:19 EDT 2009

We have a vertical windlass mounted just behind the anchor locker.  It works
pretty well there but I've not tried anything else so I have no point of
reference.  We do not have a battery forward - just big cables from the
battery box and it runs great.

Our winch is a Maxwell and I'm not real happy with the company.  We had a
part break - a simple little chain stripper and they wanted about $200 and
needed a week to send it out even tough we were cruising and stuck without
the part.

One note on the vertical configuration is that it makes hauling someone up
the mast using the windlass difficult and perhaps dangerous.  I'd sure
rather have a horizontal windlass but that would take up more room we don't
have.

Hope this helps,

Rich, Legacy, #360, San Diego now (just moved from Los Angeles Harbor, yea!)

  _____