[C38] Vibration

littlebreeze at comcast.net littlebreeze at comcast.net
Wed Jul 8 02:12:24 EDT 2009

I recently had my boat in for a bottom job. While there the strut was found to be loose. I had the strut repaired and now there is a vibration. At first the vibration was so violent to broke the hose clamps on the packing gland hose. Then the engine was realigned and most the vibration was gone. The vibration which is left is still enough to vibrate the steering pedestal. When I bought the boat 5 years ago I brought it up the coast on the motor and there wasn't a vibration and when I took to have the bottom repaired there wasn't a vibration. Now it is logical to believe that the vibration was there you just couldn't feel it because the strut was loose and now that it is rigid again you can feel the vibration. The other thing which is of concern is that the propeller is mounted within 1/4 inch of the strut, but there is another Catalina 38 in the same yard and the propeller is approximately 1 foot from the strut. (of course is has been a month and I did not measure the distance between the strut and the prop). I think there could be a correlation between the location of the prop/strut and the vibration.

So I have several questions. First, for those of you who have had you boats out of the water recently, what is the distance between your prop and the strut. Second, any Ideas on the vibration? Third, I know some of you have had to deal with vibrations in the past, what have you done to rectify your problems?

Kerry Grimes
Littlebreeze, 139
San Francisco