[C38] Vibration

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Wed Jul 8 12:21:23 EDT 2009

If your vibration is from an interaction with your prop and strut, I would
think that if you run your engine in gear while tied up in your slip, the
vibration would be there at all engine speeds though at a different
frequency, while misalignment-caused vibration might stop at low engine
speeds.

It does sound like it could be misalignment.  After major drive train work,
I've had to align my engine several times after a hull out as the boat
settles when you put it back in the water.

How close is your prop to your hull at the top?  Did they shorten your prop
shaft or move the engine mounting?

By the way, I don't think the flexible couplings help that much with
vibration.  I've had two different kinds.  They require pretty tight
tolerances for engine alignment.

Rich West, Legacy, #360, San Diego

  _____