[C38] Boat Speed

w humphrey hump5776 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 1 18:16:40 EDT 2009

Hello, I am a new user of the listserver and an owner of a 34 Catalina. I have heard that the 38 is a fast boat and there may be a possibility that I may purchase one in the near future. My question is: how fast do these boats sail normally. Do owners really see 8-9knts consistently in moderate winds. I am in the great lakes and see 5-6.5 boat speed as an average with winds 10-20 and sometimes 7 or a bit more in 20+. The reason I am considering a 38 is for more speed so any realistic real world experience would be appreciated, including performance in lighter winds.
Thanks, Bill