[C38] Boat Speed

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 9 11:36:34 EDT 2009

Paul:
    Fast with sailboats is relative. The C38 is lots faster than the
C34, which means that in a mile and decent wind, the C38 can go about 50
yds farther than a C34. I am sceptical of the claim for any 38' cruising
monohull of "8-9 knots consistently in moderate winds." Discreet Charm,
C38 #50, will do 7.5 to windward (GPS) in 18-20 knts wind, no currents,
under a 110% jib. Same wind on a beam reach gives 8 to 9 kts, on a good
day. We have clocked 15 kts downwind in 25 kts wind with our asymm
spinnaker.  These were white knuckle experiences, crazy, and scary; we
aren't racing people. Spinnaker on a pole with several skilled crew
would probably do better.
    Listen to the racers for max speeds.
Regards, Don

PAUL NOTTE wrote:
> Perhaps Kerry of littlebreeze will send you some picts of his cat 38
> in moderate wind .. How bout it Kerry?

Donald R. Strong
Professor
Section of Evolution and Ecology