[C38] Boat Speed

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Fri Jul 10 03:10:53 EDT 2009

Bill,

We have had ours for a 18 months and just this year are racking up the experience with her.  What I can share is a race from last year when our boat still had very very old and tired sails we took her up to Barkley Sound on Vancouver Island for a week of low key NFS racing.   My family had never raced so the first part of the week was getting them into shape, On the last race we were in the back of the pack, the wind stopped nada nothing, we made up so much distance on the fleet it was amazing not a ripple on the water and we were doing better than a knot we closed the gap nicely, then the wind picked up and the fleet raced off, this time however my crew was trimming the sails to the course and had a better idea about how to race, the fleet consisted of everthing from a SC 50, Js 42-46, Catalinas, custom boats etc.  We finished 3rd in our class and 3rd in the fleet.  This year we have gotten more serious in our racing (still cruiser/racer class) and got a full cut spinnaker at the end of the last series, The first time we flew it the captain was suffering from a slight dullness due to some wine the night before, made a bad tack at the start and was last over the line, as the fleet sailed away, My bowman and I walked the crew through the spinnaker deployment (the rest had never flown one before), up went the sail, we got it trimmed and passed the 8 boats in front of us and left them in our wake when we passed them we had a good 1-2 knots on them.   Ive crewed on CCs in the past and  never on a one of them were we able to sail near our rating.  Our C38 is phrf at 140 (135 for the headsail and fixed two blade prop)  with a 155, full spinnaker, and folding prop our rating will be 125, thats a very good rating for the way our boats perform and you should have no problem sailing to it.   We hit some really bad weather on our delivery March, 33 degrees and 30+ winds we were motoring because the rig was in such bad shape I didnt want to be tempted to sail so I took the sails off (Good decision after seeing the rigging when the mast was down)  On the delivery we were heeled over by the gusts pushed around by following 5 foot seas but never did I feel that we were in anything to be concerned about .  A bit uncomfortable to say the least but from a safety standpoint never a concern.    Hope that helps in your decision,  I have been very pleased with the light air performance this year.

Steve
Peregrine #312
Seattle