[C38] boom failure

Glenn Terry Glenn.Terry at Sun.COM
Sun Jul 19 13:23:29 EDT 2009

Tom,

Very interesting.  A repair would save a lot of time not having to
remount all the hardware on a new boom.

What kind of preparation did you do at the break?  Did you remove any
metal, square off the break, paint removal, etc.?

The diamond shaped reenforcement tabs would solve several issues.

How was the splint constructed.  If it laid directly on the mast it
would interfere with weld area.  Did you block it out from the mast or
was it temporary so the initial welds could be made and then removed to
complete the project.

The metal fabrication shop I have used in the past has the ability to
make the jig and align it spot on.

Any more information you can give me would be appreciated.

Regards,

G!enn

Glenn Terry
OEM Software Licensing