[C38] Roller Furler

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:39:11 EDT 2009

Hi Steve,
I installed a used  Hood 915SL on Estancia.   It works quite good and is
very easy for maintenance, but I find that the junction between the
extrusions and the turnbuckle tube to be   very  weak  and they use to fail
right there. Mine came with a crack right there at the end of the extrusion,
so I just cut an inch, drill a new hole and that was it. So far, so good,
 but someday it will fail again for sure....
The 915SL is now discontinued, and had been replaced by the  808SL, which is
a lot stronger  than mine. I installed one of this furlers last year on a
Krogen 38 that is right next to my boat, and it is definitely a superior
product. And is one of the cheapest ones. I bought it at Defender for around
$1400.00.

A couple of months ago we suffer a dismasting  (my first one!!) on a
friend´s Hunter 37. All  the spar, furler and rigging went to the water  and
it had a Hood Sea Furl 5, believe  it or not, just the turnbuckle tube was
broken so we bought the replacement for $25 and that was it...
Very good  quality and very strong furler. Also it is the Hood´s top o f the
line  with a price tag $1000 more expensive than the 808SL.

The downside is that if you are using a mechanical terminal at the bottom of
the wire you will have to disassemble it in order to  slide the extrusions,
but that´s the case with most systems....
What I really like a bout hood is that the bearings run in open races and
 are not sealed. I have nothing against the sealed ones, they work great,
but eventually they will  get harder to turnk because of corrosion and will
need to be replaced. The simple, the better!!!

Quality for the money, I will recomend the 808SL. Great product at a great
price! It has a closer desing to the Seafurl 5 than to the old 915SL.

Hope this helps.

Max