[C38] Dock Lines

Charles charles at finn.ws
Tue Aug 18 19:04:48 EDT 2009

I use 3/4 dock lines because I have seen 5/8 mooring lines part during
2-3 day storms on Lake Champlain (usually the remnants of a hurricane).
I generally have five dock lines (two on the bow, two spring, and a
stern line), but I carry two additional long ones for safety and have
two 55' lines for shore-anchor setups.    I also use older fire hose as
chaffing gear (fire departments are always cycling out hose), as plastic
hose keeps in the heat in (the lines actually dry out due to the heat
generated as the line stretches and contracts).  I can actually post a
photo of my dual mooring bridle that parted three years ago, which led
to a frightening chase with a $500 towing bill.  So, I now error on the
side of keeping my boat just where I left it these days.

Glen,
I would love to see your docking procedure!

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Lake Champlain