[C38] Heat Exchanger

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 19 09:27:30 EDT 2009

Hi Steve,

If you have a Universal 5424, not only is the heat exchanger bracket prone to fatigue cracking failure but the exchanger is too small for that engine in the first place, especially in tropical waters.

I made a new exchanger with 3" outer tube instead of the 2" that Universal used.  I made my exchanger a little longer also giving me about twice the cooling as the original exchanger.

I have a weld shop I used to make my own exchanger but there are better exchangers than the original that are commercially available for your engine which I would recommend instead of trying to salvage your old one.

Our boat is in Florida so most of our water is warmer than most other boats encounter but I think an exchanger upgrade is a good idea in any waters.  Even in relatively cool waters, it only takes a small amount of blockage to reduce the efficiency of an exchanger to a dangerously low cooling efficiency, let alone the bracket failure problems with the original exchangers.

Tom Troncalli
Renata hull #95