[C38] Water Heater Plumbing

Glen Robinson g.a.robinson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 19 18:18:43 EDT 2009

Hi, all!
I'm doing a thousand things at once, right now, & can't remember if I already posted the following to this group:
After years of chronic engine heating problems, I asked this C-38 forum for suggestions.
Unfortunately, I can't recall who to credit, but I received the following advice which absolutely ended the engine heating problem without imparing the efficiency of the water heater.
It is a simple 3-step process, as follows:
1) Completely remove both the hoses (inlet and outlet) from the water heater heat exchanger.  Bypass the heat exchanger by reconnecting its inlet hose to the place where the exchanger outlet hose connected to the engine accumulator tank.  (This will require a new length of hose, long enough to reach from the water pump clear to the accumulator).
2) Remove the thermostat bypass hose (as I recall, it is a short, 90-degree hose
going from the thermostat discharge to the front of the engine block).
3) Run 2 new hoses to the exchanger: the first from the thermostat discharge to the exchanger inlet, the second from the exchanger discharge back to the bypass fitting on the front of the block.  (It may be necessary to use different hose fittings to allow this new routing of these hoses, but I don't recall for certain).
This system removes the restriction of the heat exchanger from the engine cooling system, greatly improving the volume of engine cooling water flow.  And the heat exchanger only gets flow after the engine comes up to operating temperature, and only uses water that previously was simply recycled through the thermostat opening.
Again, I apologize to whomever gave me this info, as I can't recall your name.  I do, however, strongly endorse the process and the excellent result.
Glen
SnowBird
C-38 #296