[C38] surge/overflow tank

Charles charles at finn.ws
Wed Aug 26 13:14:52 EDT 2009

Max,
I have seen several C38s without the butterfly valve you are looking
for.  Instead, there is a 1/4" pipe plug located on top of the
thermostat housing for the internal cooling system.
Here is what I have done to deal with the "burp."  I removed the lower
butterfly valve at the lower part of the engine and replaced it with a 1
inch nipple and cap (1/4" pipe).  I now fill my coolant through the
nipple by pumping the coolant into the system with a cheap drill pump
that you can buy at about any hardware store.  By filling from the
bottom-up, I do not get the the bubble as all air flows up and out the
butterfly valve on top of the thermostat housing.  Due to the faulty
installation of my new heat exchanger that left a hole in it... I
probably filled the coolant system at least 10 times over the last two
months and have not had the burp problem.

The good thing for Max is he can use the butterfly he is removing from
the bottom of the engine on the thermostat housing.

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes