[C38] engine temp

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 1 20:43:18 EDT 2009

Hi, everyone,

	I don't want to appear stupid, but I am.

	Diesel engines are basically heat engines.  Most are designed to run at
some temperature range.  If they don't get to that range, they become
very "dirty", with carbon and so forth, including poor combustion and
greater nasty air products.  Does anyone have any information about what
the "design" temp was for the original engines (I have an XP-25B in JACE
now and it came with a larger heat exchanger, but that is no indication,
as the engines internals will determine how much cooling is right.)  If
the thermostat is working right, the engine should maintain the right
temperature I think, but I don't know for sure.  The mechanical
thermostats are in essence a two element spring that holds them closed,
with a waxy cap that will solidify when the engine is cold to keep it
shut until the engine warms up enough to run right.  These thermostats
are really simple, but a vital piece of equipment for a diesel.

Regards,