[C38] engine temp

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 1 21:11:14 EDT 2009

Hi Les,

You claim you don't want to appear stupid and then you go on to show you
are fairly astute about diesel engines.

As you pointed out, the thermostat should regulate the engine temperature
for optimum performance.  The problem we have is that the original heat
exchangers on many of our engines were just too small and if the water
returning from the heat exchanger is still hotter than the operating
temperature of the engine, the engine is gonna overheat, clear and simple.

You cannot have a heat exchanger too large but you can have one too small.
If you had a heat exchanger ten times larger than you needed, it would just
mean your thermostat would regulate the coolant flow slower so that the
operating temperature would still be at the thermostat temperature.  With
the reduced flow from a very large heat exchanger, the flow would be slowed
to a trickle but the engine would still operate at the correct temperature.

Another plus of an oversize heat exchanger is that it gives a margin of
safety in case you pick up some debris causing a reduction of cooling
efficiency.  The little 2" heat exchanger that came with the 5424 had
absolutely no reserve cooling capacity at full throttle, especially in
tropical waters.  Add debris restriction and you have a meltdown, even at
moderate speeds.

Tom Troncalli

<listserve at catalina38.org>