[C38] Nationals

Leslie G Delong Leslie.G.Delong at aero.org
Fri Sep 11 22:25:44 EDT 2009

It seems a little late to be thinking of this, and I'll admit that this is
a pretty tentative suggestion, but is it likely that there would be local
Southern California C-38 owners who would lend their boats to strangers
for the nationals (or who would enter if additional hands were available
to crew)?

The biggest boat I've captained was my old Ericson 28+ (a C-38 is a future
dream of mine), and I haven't been sailing for about ten years (its like
riding a bicycle, non?), but (I haven't mentioned this to my better half,
but with spousal approval to clear next week's calendar) I'd be willing to
crew for a more experienced skipper.  I might also be able to scare up
another couple of crew members.

Les DeLong
Associate Systems Director, DoD Compliance Team
Commercial, International & Homeland Security Programs
The Aerospace Corporation

Offices:
(310) 336-5055
(310) 416-7021

Cellular Phone:
(310) 508-6268

Steve.Ribble at gmail.com
Sent by: listserve-bounces at catalina38.org
09/11/2009 05:07 PM
Please respond to
Catalina 38 Listserve <listserve at catalina38.org>

david at dlrfilms.com
cc
Catalina 38 Listserve <listserve at catalina38.org>
Subject
Re: [C38] Nationals

I have to agree with David on this one...the minimum number for a fleet in
any race that I've sailed in is three, and if we have three the corinthian
side of "us" should move forward and hold the race(s).

Whether its the size or age of our fleet, or the geographic dispersion and
logistical dificulties associated with the C-38 group, we are going to
continue to to have a difficult time assembling more than a few boats at
any given place...sad, but true. And somehow I think, judging by the
activity here and in the Mainsheet, our collective lack of demonstrated
support for our beloved toys is more than a logistical issue (for the
record: yes there are a dedicated group that faithully and frequently
utilize the listserv...but if you do the math it seems like a very small
percentage of the entire group). If the races are not held, then we all
cave to apathy. However, if those with the ability to be there or to share
your boats with others that might be willing to come (given a berth for
the night and a pint of grog) will go forward and champion the spirit of
the fleet, then perhaps, little by little, we can bring life back to the
fleet and our boats can sail on for another generation.

Of course, this is all easy for me to say; I'm not in a position to make
the 3000 mile trip...but I need to live vicariously through those of you
who can. Heck, I prepped all of April and May and launched on June
14...and she's been out of the water for repairs since July 10. I can't
tell you how much I would like to have the opportunity that so many of you
have.

Steve Ribble
Tittravate
Cat 38, #64

On Sep 11, 2009 12:31pm, david at dlrfilms.com wrote:
> Why not? We race with one boat all the time!
>

> > We now have three entries, can we get a couple of others?  We are not
>

> > going
>

> > to do the races with just three of us.  Come on guys and gals.

> > Best regards,
>

> > Larry Malmberg-President
>

> > Larry Malmberg Investigations and Security, Inc.
>

> > 505 North Arrowhead Avenue - Suite 510
>

> > San Bernardino, CA 92401-1200
>

> > 909-383-8565, 800-655-4549 Facsimile 909-383-8566
>

> > PI 15211, PPO 112446
>

> > www.larrypi.com
>

> > All incoming and outgoing e mail is scanned with Norton AntiVirus.
>

> > Civil and Criminal, Surveillance, Internal Investigations, Personal
and

> > Personnel Protection, GPS Tracking and Rental, Notary.
>

> > "The American Indians found out what happens when  you don't control
>

> > immigration"
>

> > "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely

> > in
>

> > a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
>

> > thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming; WOW--
What a

Listserve at catalina38.org