[C38] Traveler Location?

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Sun Sep 13 19:37:42 EDT 2009

So I just got my new to me North Sails made for a Catalina38 complete with
the insignia mainsail and low and behold, my boom is about 2 feet longer
than the Catalina spec and so was the sail I had on it (a Hinkley 42 main,
I think.)

My traveler was mounted  about a foot aft of the forward edge of the
companionway hatch, cutting across it in an untidy way. I just took it out
to make way for a hard dodger, and was going to move the main to the end
of the boom and into the cockpit, but now I'm wondering if it's odd,
slightly in the way location was done to accommodate the longer
boom/bigger mainsail.

Those of you who have travelers on your coachroofs, do they cut across the
hatch, or are they further forward?

Are any of you running your mainsheets in other locations? Like it? Hate it?

Thanks!