[C38] David Epstein-C38 longer boom on Superstar

David Epstein davidepstein at seicontrol.com
Mon Sep 14 17:06:02 EDT 2009

Hi Max,

I am sorry, but I don't have the original measurements of the longer
boom.   I think we cut it down to the stock size somewhere around 20
years ago.   From memory, our boom was about 40" longer than stock,
but I could be wrong about that.

One thing to keep in mind is that as a result of the mainsheet
attaching to the center of the boom (instead of the end), our boom
had a second extrusion installed internally as a "sleeve" to
strengthen the boom.  Although it still bends when sheeting hard, it
has not failed (knock on wood).  As I have seen other C38s break
their stock booms, I do suggest you be cautious in this regard.

Regards,

David Epstein
C38 #122, SuperStar
Marina del Rey, CA

At 10:22 AM 9/14/2009, you wrote:
>Hi David,
>
>By any chace do you have the E measure or the mainsail foot measure
>for the larger boom on Superstar??
>I just got a very large Sparcraft boom (15'2") from a friend and I
>was planning to install it in order to have single reefeing lines,
>but then I was thinking why shouln't I leave this way (or cut it
>just a little bit) and install a larger foot main.
>Regards,
>

>Max Soto
>C38 #198 ESTANCIA
>Puntarenas, Costa Rica

David Epstein
President, Sound Solutions
Chairman, CEA TechHome Division
Member of the CEA Board of Industry Leaders
Member, CEA Division Executive Board
Tel 310.398.0032
Fax 310.398.0036
www.soundsolutions.com