[C38] Transmission Removal

Craig Steinkraus Navion at Charter.net
Mon Oct 5 08:19:46 EDT 2009

Steve: I replaced my transmission 4 years ago. All I can say that it's a JOB!. I did all the work through the small opening in the quarter berth. (and I'm not as small of a guy that I'd like to be) The transmission is bolted directly to the bell housing, so that whole assembly comes off the engine as 1 unit. The bell housing obviously will not come out the opening in the berth, so disassembly of the housing needed to be done before extraction. After the new tranny and plate were mounted the next major problem I had was alligning the splines in the shaft with the engine. I ended up building a pulley system that helped lifting the rear end of the tranny to get it to slid in. It's was very similar to building a ship in a bottle, very challenging, but also I was quite pleased with myself when it was finished.

Craig Steinkraus
"Wings" C-38 #280
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steve Smolinske
  To: Catalina 38 Listserve
  Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 10:49 PM
  Subject: [C38] Transmission Removal

  Today I figured out what that slight pinkish scum is in my bilge, Yep transmission fluid.  The linkage cable bracket mounted on the side (aluminium) and carbon steel  rusted to nothing, loosened the seal and now leakage.  Has anyone removed their transmission?  If so could you walk me through what is involved, thanks.

  Steve
  Peregreine #312
  Seattle