[C38] Osprey for sale

Charles charles at finn.ws
Wed Oct 28 10:20:07 EDT 2009

Steve,
While I largely cruise (although I cannot help but race any boat heading
the same direction), the Mighty Quinn was originally purchased and
rigged for racing.  The first owners where an America's Cup crew, who
won the Chicago - Mac in 1981 and then sold her.  Her second owner also
competitively raced and won the Chicago - Mac in 1985.  So, everything
was set up for racing.  I have over-sized rigging where-ever it won't
result in penalties and as you might recall, a sail inventory that
included every possible option...  The mainsheet can be flattened (8:1)
a bit more, which allows for just a little more ability point.  It also
allows the boat to sail a little harder before reefing as I can bend the
rig more than usual (weatherhelm is scary).
The boat has survived two knockdowns.  In fact, that was a large factor
in the 1985 win as most of the competition was dismasted or quit, while
the Mighty Quinn was only filled with about a foot of water above the
cabin floor (this is what I was told).
I am her third owner and the value I get out of the rig is a level of
comfort that I have an additional safety margin that has paid off
several times over the last two years of cruising.  Like most of us, I
tend to reef later than I should, which is always a bad idea.  This
makes the reefing more dangerous and unpleasant, but at least I know the
rig can withstand the "stupid human" traits of it's owner!

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes