[C38] New Owner w/ CNG question

David Epstein davidepstein at seicontrol.com
Tue Dec 22 01:21:52 EST 2009

Hi Jay,

Congratulations on your "new" boat, and welcome to the C38
family.    I know Broad Reach very well.  We used to race against
them, and I even raced on it a couple of times.

I have never had any problems finding CNG.  You can get it a gas dock
that is not too far from San Diego Yacht Club (SDYC) in Shelter
Island in the SD harbor.   I think it might be called Pearsons Marine
Fuels. You don't have to get your tank filled, you just remove yours,
exchange it for a full one, and you  are on your way.   In fact, I
always try to get a tank when we are in SD as they seem to put a bit
more gas in the tanks than they do in Marina del Rey.   As I recall,
you get as much as 2300 lbs, and we are lucky to get 1900-2000 lbs in MdR.

Personally I would not consider changing to Propane, unless you are
planning to spend a lot of time in Mexico or other areas outside So
Cal.   CNG is lighter than air, making it much safer than Propane,
which will settle in the bottom of the boat.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you, and again, welcome.

David Epstein
C38 #122, SuperStar
Marina del Rey, CA

At 01:17 PM 12/21/2009, you wrote:

>Greetings All.  We recently purchased C-38 Hull # 311 "Broad Reach"
>with the original CNG system.  The boat is going to be a San Diego
>boat and I was wonder what other So Cal owners have done to fill
>their tank.  Is there an exchange site around, do you use an adaptor
>and fill at the auto stations, or has everyone given up and
>converted to propane?  Love the boat overall, but this CNG issue may
>be a hassle for weekend cruising.  Would also like to hear from
>other C-38 owners in the area to exchange ideas and information.  We
>can be contacted off list at <mailto:jsorensen at novarx.com>jsorensen at novarx.com
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jay & Dorothy Sorensen
>C-38 #311 "Broad Reach"
>San Diego, CA

David Epstein
President, Sound Solutions
Chairman, CEA TechHome Division
Member of the CEA Board of Industry Leaders
Member, CEA Division Executive Board
Tel 310.398.0032
Fax 310.398.0036
www.soundsolutions.com