[C38] bridle for mooring

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 18 14:51:59 EST 2010

Hi, everyone,
	I have a mooring in San Diego, and the boat is tied up there.  There is
a storm coming, so I rigged a safety bridle, and I wanted to see what
others thought of my approach.

	I purchased 50' of 1/2 line, and used 10' or so to rig a pendant from
the top of the mooring with an eye splice with a bit of tubing for
chafing protection.  I used the remaining 40' to make a bridle running
from the toe rail on one side to the other, through the eye.

	At the toe rail I ran the line from through one eye of the rail, back
about 2' to another eye where I tied it off.  At the eye where I ran it
through, I used a bit of old rough line to create a buffer pad through
the eye ahead of the bridle line.

	I am pretty sure this will hold the full weight of the boat should the
original mooring line part, and provide distribution of the stress
across a good length of the toerail.  I know I need to add a couple of
cleats, and now that project has escalated on my "boat to do list".

	So the question to experienced folks is what do you think?  Is this a
good solution for our boats.  Winds expected to reach about 60kts here.

Regards,
Les H