[C38] FYI Fuel Pumps

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sun Jul 11 02:00:42 EDT 2010

Last weekend as I was preparing for our trip to Barkley Sound I was coming back from the yacht club where I just finished installing our new radar post (It is so sweet, couple upgrades like mounting the stern light 10' above the water line, internal tube with an exit 9' above the water for the fuel vent and attachments for mounting the MOB pole, fabricated it at work and sent it out for powder coating for a total cost of $300 not including the PYI mounting hardware) as I got closer to home one of those ever so slight something doesnt seem right with the boat feelings came across me, the kind that only a boat owner would notice.  I got to the dock and decided to check the fuel filters as they had lots of water in them from our last two overnight races (which prompted the pole design) so after draining them and trying to bleed the engine I couldnt get any flow, trouble shot the fuel pump and isolated that it was not pumping fuel.  Okay this is the second Carter fuel pump in two years  http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productgroupdetail.aspx?cid=17796&keywords=carter+fuel+pump&radkm=on&km=entire  DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE PIECES OF JUNK!!

I talked with the guys at gallery marine in Seattle and they confirmed they were junk, they carry the fawcett (spelling) pumps which are original equipment on our boats, in their words they are bullet proof.  I installed the new pump and within minutes the filters and engine were bled and the boat sounded awesome.

Steve
Peregrine
Seattle