[C38] FW: Re: Re: FW: Re: Cutlass Bearing Strut Faring

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 14 09:06:14 EST 2010

Hello Dan, Max, Phil, etc.,

My Renata #95 was also a 1981 and it had the long keel trunk shoal draft keel and hull encapsulated cutlass bearing.  I wonder if there was a production change or if what we are calling shoal draft versions are actually modified deep fin vessels.

Just shortening a deep fin doesn't make it a true shoal draft version for two reasons:

1.    The center of gravity would be raised making the vessel very tender unless a bulb is added to the keel.
2.    The surface area of the keel area would be greatly reduced creating a of loss of lateral resistance.  On the shoal draft
         version, much of the lateral resistance of the keel is produced by the long keel trunk of the hull not found on the deep
         draft keel hull.
        On my vessel, the keel trunk extended aft to the area where the deep draft vessel strut is mounted making my keel very long
         and with a low aspect ratio.  My keel trunk extended aft well past my transmission.  On my shoal draft version, the wetted
         surface was much greater than that on a deep draft version and that was another performance penalty I suffered for having
         shallow water capability.  I think the cutlass bearing and propeller were actually in the same position on both models.

 I would be very interested if Catalina produced a shoal draft 38 using the short keel trunk hull.  If they did, I would imagine the keel would have to have been much heavier and having had a much thicker cord to retain ballast stability but that wouldn't address the loss of wetted surface for lateral resistance.

To further confuse this issue, the silhouette on the original brochure, which you can see at:

http://www.catalina38.org/specs/images/90c38specs.jpg

doesn't show the keel skeg of the long keel trunk shoal draft versions.  If you drew a horizontal line between the hull and aft end of the shown shoal keel to the cutlass bearing, it would approximate the actual silhouette of my vessel.

Did Catalina stop making the 38 from two different molds?  If so, what were all the changes in the "new" shoal draft version?

To be continued...............?

Dying in anticipation of answers,
Tom Troncalli
(recovering 38 owner)

(Note:  There is no known practical permanent cure for the loss of ownership of a Catalina 38)